AFS-USA offers Volunteers the opportunity to chaperone program participants on flights to and from the USA. There are also opportunities for Volunteers to chaperone Belo USA Travel bus tours. The primary responsibility of a Flight/Belo Chaperone is the welfare of participants traveling on international and domestic flights and/or bus tours. In addition, the Flight/Belo Chaperone is an official representative of AFS-USA.
December 5, 2016: Application Opens
January 15, 2017: Application Closes
March 2017: Flight & Belo Chaperones Notified
The Flight Chaperone is required to participate in a Gateway Orientation for flights departing from the USA prior to accompanying program participants to their destination. The Belo USA Travel Chaperone travels to the bus tour location and attends an informational training session with students prior to chaperoning a bus trip. Sponsored Programs require Chaperones to assist as Group Leaders from approximately 8:00 am - 11:00 pm each day. A Group Leader's responsibility is to be available to students and to help prepare them for their exchange experience.
- Applicant must be 25 years old as of February 1, 2017.
- Applicant must be a registered AFS-USA Volunteer for two (2) consecutive years at time of application.
- Applicant will be actively involved with a local Area Team and/or at a National level.
- NOTE: Host Family members may only apply if they are registered AFS-USA volunteers.
- Applicant may not have been an AFS-USA Flight Chaperone (domestic or international) within the past two (2) calendar years. (A Volunteer who chaperoned a trip in 2015 or later is not eligible to apply for a Chaperone Award until December, 2017)
- Applicant should have
- Travel experience and be able to travel during the specified time period.
- Hold a current passport at the time of applying. (Passport not required for Belo USA Travel)
- Experience with teenagers.
- Applicant must agree to comply with any and all mandatory training session(s).
- A Flight Chaperone must be available for international travel and able to remain in a country for a minimum of seven (7) days.
- Volunteers may apply for both Flight Chaperone and Belo USA Travel, but must choose between the two should they be selected for both.
- Chaperones agree to assist the Volunteer Recognition Committee (VRC) in the Chaperone selection process the year after their award.
- Applicant must be in good physical health and be able to transport their luggage and assist students with their luggage, as needed.
- Chaperone is not permitted to bring any family members or friends under 18 years, or anyone needing special assistance.
- Chaperone understands that any family member/friend accompanying the Chaperone must be 18 years or older, do so at their own expense, and are responsible for transporting their luggage/personal items.
- Chaperone is not to consume alcohol while supervising students or while on their Chaperone flight.
- The flight itinerary is set by AFS-USA and cannot accommodate special routing changes. If the awarded flight changes after ticketing is completed, AFS-USA will not accommodate, nor be financially responsible, for flight changes to any family member/friend traveling with the Chaperone at their own expense.
- Chaperone on a flight with returning students will meet program participants at the airport in the partner country. Chaperone is expected to cover all related costs (i.e., train/taxi to airport or orientation site, overnight lodging for day before flight) unless previously noted by AFS-USA.
- Chaperone is financially responsible for any required vaccinations, visa fees, passport fees, extra luggage fees, as well as all personal incidentals and costs, unless otherwise noted by AFS-USA.
- If a Chaperone declines a Flight/Belo Chaperone Award due to an unexpected personal emergency, the Award will be forfeited and the volunteer will need to reapply the following year.
- If a Chaperone withdraws after issuing a ticket, the Chaperone may be responsible for any airline fees incurred by AFS-USA. Once your ticket is issued it is non-refundable.
- Chaperones agree to assist the Volunteer Recognition Committee (VRC) in the chaperone selection process the year after their award.
- Only one Volunteer member per household may apply.
Flights Available in 2017
AFS-USA Travel and Logistics determines Chaperone flights based on the needs of AFS-USA and differ from year to year. Most Chaperone flights occur during the summer months, June through September. Countries may include: China, Egypt, France, Germany, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia, Spain, Thailand, and Turkey.
How to Apply
- Complete the Flight/Belo Chaperone Application
- Submit two (2) References. At least one Reference must be a registered AFS-USA Volunteer; the other can be someone familiar with your qualifications and responsibilities as an AFS-USA Flight Chaperone. (References may not be related to the Applicant).
- Click here to download Flight & Belo Chaperone Reference Form 2017 (Revised)
- Please email Application and Reference Forms to: FlightChaperone@afsusa.org by January 15, 2017 at 5:00 pm (EST).
Due to the large number of Applications received each year, it is the Applicant's responsibility to ensure their Application is complete and two References are submitted by January 15, 2017 at 5:00 pm (EST). Incomplete Applications or missing References will deem the Applicant ineligible and disqualified.
Past Award Recipients
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2017
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2016
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2015
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2014
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2013
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2012
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2011
- Flight Chaperone trips awarded for 2010