Belo USA Travel is an American travel operator based in Chicago specializing in cultural, educational, and tourist trips for international exchange students. Belo USA Travel has contracted with AFS-USA and other exchange organizations for more than 15 years. Belo USA Travel has designed trips specifically for AFS-USA students that will incorporate our mission and the idea of intercultural education. Belo USA Travel has a great appreciation for the AFS-USA mission and the desire for our students to participate in activities that follow these values. All trips will be chaperoned by AFS-USA volunteers/staff and Belo USA Travel staff.
December 5, 2016: Application Opens
January 15, 2017: Application Closes
January 2017: Belo Chaperones Notified
Volunteer Chaperone Eligibility
The primary responsibility of a Belo USA Travel Chaperone is the welfare of participants traveling on a Belo USA Travel bus tour to destinations in the United States. In addition, the Chaperone is an official representative of AFS-USA. The Chaperone will meet participants at the beginning of a specific bus tour and will participate in the arrival orientation presented by Belo USA Travel staff.
Other requirements include:
- Be 25 years old as of February 1, 2017.
- Be a registered AFS-USA Volunteer, with at least two (2) consecutive years actively volunteering at the time of application. Volunteers are involved with a local Chapter/Team and/or at a National level which may include orientations, working with students, liaisons, team/national leadership roles, advisory groups, and/or committees.
- Agree to fully comply with any and all mandatory training sessions.
- Assist students with their luggage, if needed.
- Have experience as a chaperone or group leader.
- Have organizational and problem solving skills.
- Be flexible and open to new experiences.
How to Apply
- Complete the Flight/Belo Chaperone Application.
- Submit two References. At least one Reference must be a registered AFS-USA Volunteer; the other can be someone familiar with your qualifications and responsibilities as an AFS-USA Chaperone.
- References may not be related to the Applicant.
- It is the Applicant's responsibility to ensure two (2) References are submitted by January 15, 2017.
- Click here to download Flight & Belo Chaperone Reference Form 2017
Please email Application and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belo USA Tours in 2017
Hawaii Expedition: February 11-18, March 11-18, March 25-April 1
California Adventure: February 25 - March 4
New York City: March 11-15, April 15-19
NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington D.C.: March 11-18, April 15-22
East Coast: June 5-18
West Coast: June 2-15 and June 5-18
Because AFS-USA believes in the value of Belo USA Travel as an enhancement to our programs, the AFS-USA National Council has amended the AFS-USA Independent Travel Policy in regard to Belo USA Travel:
- Student travel must be approved by the Host Family, natural parents, the host school (if any school will be missed), local Support Coordinator and AFS-USA.
- Students are required to submit a request form that is approved by the Support Coordinators before they can sign up for a trip. Included in this request form is approval/acceptance by the Host Family.
- Students should not purchase tickets until obtaining approvals from all designated parties.
- Travel waivers will be required for all trips.
- Students would be allowed to miss up to 5 days of school to travel on a Belo USA Travel bus tour (upon receiving approvals as indicated above).
- Host siblings are permitted to join the trips.
Student Travel Required Forms
AFS-USA and Belo USA Travel require specific forms to be completed for any students interested in participating in Belo USA Travel trips.
- AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo USA Travel
- Belo AFS Student Information and Agreement
- Belo AFS Parent Authorization
Volunteer Recognition Committee: email@example.com
Learn more about Belo USA at www.belousa.com